There is a whole lot of political hand-wringing when it comes to folks on the left. Those on the far left – amazingly – don’t get that the President has been hamstrung in no small part because the right took control of the House in 2010. However, if you ask them, they’ll tell you it’s because the President’s weak/capitulated/caved/fill in your own complaint here.
It’s not true, of course, but just as the right doesn’t concern itself with facts, the far left doesn’t either. They didn’t get their pet cause handed to them with a nice pretty bow, so the President has failed them. So instead, they’d rather give the right exactly what they’re looking for – more control.
But there’s a far bigger problem. The average American isn’t far left. They’re not far right either. They’re somewhere in the middle, which means they are amenable to listening. But they’re turned off by the vitriol from both sides. They’ll listen to reason. The only problem is, they’ve learned to tune things out until they’ve heard it over and over and over.
The right has been absolutely incredible about this. They take their message, and they repeat it and repeat it and repeat it. The left has been awful. Instead of repeating their message and letting the average American make a decision, they try to debate and debunk the right, coming across as know-it-alls and elite snobs that have nothing in common with average folks.
So here’s my proposal:
On this site, on a daily basis, we will tweet/post one at least solid fact about the left and it’s strengths and/or one solid fact about the right and their weaknesses. That’s it. Won’t debate it. Won’t show both sides. Just one simple, easy to digest fact. We’ll use the hashtag #EFCpolfacts.
Here’s what you can do:
- If you see us put out an #EFCpolfacts tweet, retweet it.
- If you know a fact that we should feature, leave a comment here.
- If you see the EFC post that introduces the #EFCpolfacts, spread the word.
But here’s the real tough part: Don’t debate it. Don’t discuss it. Just repeat it. If you think it’s bogus, let us know. But we’ll be posting facts that are verifiable. No emo opinions about how we didn’t get our pony. Just simple facts. Supported by data. Let people decide without shoving it down their throats. Just present it, over and over again.
The list of #EFCpolfacts will be here, and we’ll update it with each new one.
Sure, there will be those who say it won’t work. My answer – Clam it. Unless something you’re doing is actually working, get out of the way. Show me a better, more effective way to get the message out, and I’ll be behind it pushing hard. Until then, join the effort, or stay the hell out of the way.
Be sure to post your suggestions in the comments.
EFCpolfacts (updated 8/22/11):
- The last President to preside over a budget surplus was Bill Clinton, Democrat. There has not been a Republican President that has presided over a surplus since Eisenhower in 1957.
- S&P Specifically Names Republicans Unwillingness To Raise Revenues In Downgrade
- Michelle Bachmann (R-MN) has asked for – and received – billions in federal stimulus money, even after saying how bad they are for the country
- Gov. Rick Perry (R-TX) used billions of dollars in federal stimulus money to balance the Texas budget, as he claimed it was bad for the country.
- Rick Perry Said He Would NOT Run For President
- TX Under Rick Perry Has The Fourth Highest Poverty Rate Among States
- Under Rick Perry, TX Has The Highest Percentage Of Minimum Wage Jobs
- Under Rick Perry, TX Has The Highest Rate Of Adults Without High School Diplomas
- Under Rick Perry, TX is 48th of 50 States In Employer-Based Health Insurance
- Texas Under Rick Perry is #2 In Food Insecurity
- Under Perry, Non-Elderly Women Have The Lowest Coverage By Health Insurance
- Under Rick Perry, TX Ranks Last In Women Receiving Pre-Natal Care In 1st Trimester
- Rick Perry’s TX Is Worst In Environmental Hazards In 5 Key Categories
- Under Rick Perry, Workers Compensation Ranks Dead Last